Little is known about the origins of Michell as they are shrouded (or at least covered with a moth-eaten towel) by the mists of time. What is known is largely obscure and often contradictory. Oh and he sometimes speaks about himself in the third person.
One thing that is known to be absolutely true is he is a perfectionist (a nice way of saying anal) as can be evidenced by the number of iterations it took him to write the first chapter (completely) of his first book (31).
On the subject of his first book, Michell is always more than happy to discuss, often to excess, the trials and tribulations he has faced. He usually misses those visual cues to shut-up or change the subject (like the audience falling asleep or simply walking away).
Michell is an accomplished speaker and has hosted several writing workshops for schools and school-age children 9 – 18. He has presented for the past three years at the Calgary Young Writers’ Conference and he has presented at When Words Collide in Calgary for several years. He has also mentored several amateur writers, many of whom are now professionals themselves.
A few fast (note I didn’t say interesting) facts:
- Michell’s name is pronounced “Michael” not “Mitchell” or “Michelle” as many folks are obliged to do (he has been known to respond to Mike just to avoid confusion)
- Michell’s preferred genre is anything with adventure (for writing) and Sci-Fi/Fantasy for reading
- Authors of influence: Anne McCaffery, Dave Duncan, Elizabeth Moon, Elizabeth Haydon, Tad Williams, Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett
- Michell currently has eight completed books (Mik Murdoch, Boy Superhero, which was released August 1, 2012, Mik Murdoch: The Power Within which was released August 1, 2014 (and a third Mik book that with his publisher): a fantasy novel for adults, a SciFi Comedy (GalaxyBillies available at Podiobooks.com and Wattpad.com), Boyscouts of the Apocalypse (available on Wattpad)/Scouts of the Apocalypse available in print and eBook from Evil Alter Ego Press, a YA mystery/adventure and Jack Kane and the Statue of Liberty which is a YA Steampunk Superhero mashup co-written with JR Murdock (available now from Champagne Books). He has also written several short stories in multiple genres (some of which are published – see My Work).
- Michell was one of the founding members of the amateur writing group “Starting Write Now”
- Michell started podcasting in January 2009 with ‘Get Published’, a podcast for wannabe published authors (just like him).
- Michell completed writing and podcasting the Science Fiction Comedy podcast titled “GalaxyBillies” in October, 2010. He enjoyed the project but constantly asked himself what he thought he was doing by taking on two podcast projects at once. The jury is still out as to whether it’s funny or not although some (3) people seem to like it. It is available on both iTunes and Podiobooks.com.
- Michell has an alter-ego. His alter-ego is a fellow by the name of Jeffrey Hite (AKA The Dark Lord). Michell and his alter ego are co-editors of A Method To the Madness: A Guide To the Super Evil and the now-available book, Dimensional Abscesses.
Email: author at michellplested dot com
Podcast: podcast at michellplested dot com
Twitter: twitter dot com/mplested
Facebook Fan Pages and Groups:
Mik Murdoch – https://www.facebook.com/groups/244382889008178/